Em’Kal Eyongakpa (born in 1981 in Cameroon) lives and works in Cameroon.
Em’kal Eyongakpa approaches the experienced, the unknown, as well as collective histories through a ritual use of repetition and transformation. Eyongakpa’s interwoven installations, which could be experienced as paradoxical systems, not only blurs the boundaries between employed media, but could also alter the notion of the real and the illusory.
Since 2007, the artist has traveled widely between Africa, Europe and the Americas,these voyages and itinerant spaces are increasingly reflected in the forms and deliberations, processes and encounters, that stand at the core of the aesthetics of his work.
His recent ideas/performances increasingly evoke notions of trans generational memories,ethnobotany, applied and ethnomycology,cosmologies among other interests, in his explorations of the personal and the universal.
Selected Exhibitions/ events:
– Jakarta Biennale 2017 , JIWA (November 4th-December 10 2017)
– Tidalectics, TBA21 Contemporary, Vienna, (June 6th-November 12, 2017)
– Recent Histories, contemporary African Photography and video art, Walther
Collection Ulm, (May -November 2017)
– 13th Sharjah biennial, Tamawuj (March 10-June 12)
– la biennale de Montreal, The grand Balcony (October 19th 2016- January 15th
– 32nd Bienal de Sao Paulo , Incerteza viva [Sep 10th – Dec 11th, 2016]
– THE INCANTATION OF THE DISQUIETING MUSE. On Divinity, Supra-Realities or
the Exorcisement of Witchery, SAVVY Contemporary, Berlin (June 4 – August 7, 2016) -encounters in a lunar cycle, [non humans take mating(s)/ meeting(s) seriously],
Sound performance/ installation with Astrid S. Klein, le cyclop de Jean Tinguely, (21/05/2016)
– boh betok, audiovisual interventions, Mamfe (04/2016)
– beats/bits of(f) sPACE(s), Apalazzo gallery Brescia (March 18th -May 10th 2016)
– 10th Bamako encounters, Bamako (2015)
– negotiations (chapter 1-i, dualaland-pariis), Kadist art foundation, Paris (May – July 2015)10 -??fullmoons later/wata kulture intermedia performance, Africa acts, Paris (2015) –
– we all have a sense of rhythm, curators series# 8- David Roberts art Foundation,
– Rijksakademie Open Studios, RABK, Amsterdam (2013/2014)
– uber die grenze der zweifel, Wurttembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart (2014)
– Giving contours to shadows, Saavy contemporary and NBK, Berlin (2014)
– 18th International Contemporary Art Festival Sesc_Videobrasil, Sao Paulo (2013)
– Volcano extravaganza (evil under the sun), Stromboli, Italy (2013),
– We Face Forward, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester (2012),
– 10th Dak’art biennale ,Dakar (2012 ),
– Bamako encounters, African photography biennale, Bamako( 2011).
– Panafrican festival of Algiers, La modernite dans l’art Africain, Algiers (2009)
– Rijksakademie Van Beeldende Kunsten (State academy for visual arts), Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2013-2014
– M.Sc in Botany & Ecology, The University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde , Cameroon, 2000- 2005
– 2016 Association le Cyclop de Jean Tinguely, Milly la Foret.
– 2015 Kadist Art Foundation
– 2013-2014 Rijksakademie Van Beeldende Kunsten, Amsterdam, Netherlands . -2012- Guest residency, Rijksakademie Van Beeldende Kunsten guest recidency, Amsterdam, Netherlands (June 1st- August 31st 2012)
– 2011 Bag Factory visiting artist residency program, Johannesburg , South Africa (August- September 2011)
– 2011 Greatmore visiting artist residency program, Cape Town, South Africa
(3rd May- 3rd August 2011)
– BE-side(s) work, November 2014, Em’kal Eyongakpa
– Tacet no 04: sounds of utopia. January 2016
– Recent Histories, African Contemporary Photography and video art/ The Walther
Collection. May 2017
basic Information Em’kal Eyongakpa