Call for applications
12th Rencontres de Bamako: Stream of Consciousness
Rencontres de Bamako/ Biennale Africaine de la Photographie, Bamako, Mali30 Nov 2019 - 31 Jan 2020Deadline: 15 Jun 2019
The 12th edition of Rencontres de Bamako/ Biennale Africaine de la Photographie will be held in December 2019 in Bamako, Mali. This call is open to artists from the African world.
Imagine the artistic practice of photographic stream of consciousness as ‘thinking in images’. The art piece (the photograph, photographs), as an expression of an interior monologue, the artist’s sensory reactions to external events.
The image as a capture of streams of consciousness having the possibility of revealing the worlds of thoughts and circumstances, the universe of histories and geographies that birthed the photograph.
For this biennial the focus is on the African world. Africa as a planetary concept related to people of African origin, spread over the world in Asia, Oceania, Europe, the Americas, the African continent. Can photography reveal the Streams of Consciousness that flow from and beyond the shores of the African continent?
Rencontres de Bamako is looking at artists whose works reveal their thoughts and conscious reactions to occurrences and the perceived in this continuous flow.
Find more information about the concept here : Conceptual Note
The open call for the participation of photographers and video artists in the Pan-African exhibition of the 12th edition of the Bamako Encounters is open from March 20 to June 15th, 2019.
Candidates must submit a completed application form online the website HERE.
The application must include:
1. the completed application form;
2. a detailed curriculum vitae;
3. 2 high-resolution pictures;
4. a scanned copy of the valid passport until 2020;
5. five high-definition images (300 dpi) of works dating from 2017 onwards (artist’s property) incl. name of the photographer and date of creation;
6. a short text on the works and their technical data (title of the work, dimensions, materials, value of the work and insurance, addresses of places of origin and delivery, do the photographs need frames? etc)
The on-line application can be accessed HERE.