Open call: Artistic Director
Beirut Art Center (BAC), Beirut, LebanonDeadline: 15 Apr 2019
Marking its 10 years, Beirut Art Center is adopting a dual leadership, with an administrative director and an artistic director. BAC has appointed Rana Nasser-Eddin as an administrative director and is now seeking an experienced and innovative artistic director who will work towards the vision of the center for the coming years. The artistic director will work in close partnership with the administrative director and the board to successfully implement the artistic and strategic direction of the center, ensuring the center delivers on its mission.
Beirut Art Center (BAC) is a non-profit association, space and platform dedicated to contemporary art in Lebanon. The aim of BAC is to produce, present and contextualize local and international art research and cultural practices in a space that is open, active and free to the public. BAC seeks engagement with various art forms and experiences and alternative methods of knowledge production and distribution. Supporting local and regional contemporary artists and facilitating the creation and realization of projects as well as interaction among local and international cultural players.
Major Responsibilities include//
• Program all activities and events of the center
• Work in partnership with the Administrative Director on the annual budget allocated to the center’s activities
• Establish strong working relationships with exhibiting artists
• Seek out new partnerships and collaborations with other organizations, both local and international
• Promote BAC and publicize its activities through networking
• Maintain knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
• Develop and maintain relationships with local artists, galleries, and other arts institutions
The ideal candidate has a leadership background in a mission-driven organization. He or she has successfully managed an arts organization, having contributed to its transformative growth. Backgrounds of interest include leaders from cultural organizations, other non-profit institutions, and the private sector, among others.
Candidates should possess//
• Meaningful commitment to and deep interest in contemporary art from the region
• Dedication to fundraising and enhancing the reputation and public image of BAC
• Experience working closely with and reporting to an Executive Board
• Leadership experience with a demonstrated record of impact measured by such factors as fiscal sustainability, organizational growth, critical recognition, and audience development
• Strong writing skills and the ability to think conceptually and creatively for the advancement of the center
• Fluency in English and Arabic. Basic knowledge of French is useful
January 2020 Closing date for applications: April 15, 2019
Beirut Art Center was initiated by Sandra Dagher and Lamia Joreige. It opened in 2009, thanks to the support of benefactors, Marwan T. Assaf, Patrons, Association Philippe Jabre, Cherine Magrabi Tayeb, Ousseimi Foundation, and sponsors, Banque Libano-Française and Fidus. 2019 marks 10 years of Beirut Art Center. BAC is relocating, walking distance from its current location, and will reopen this April 2019.