National Gallery of Zimbabwe: Open Call for 2020 Exhibition, Curatorial & Residency
National Gallery of Zimbabwe, Bulawayo , ZimbabweDeadline: 30 Sep 2019
The National Gallery of Zimbabwe in Bulawayo is now accepting proposals for self-funded local and international Exhibitions, Curatorial and Residency applications.
Local and visiting Artists and Curators wishing to present new ideas and projects in the context of the Bulawayo gallery space and emerging independent curators committed to developing their professional practice can now submit proposals for exhibitions and visiting –Artists in Residency for 2020.
- Artists must submit proposals for the presentation of their own (solo or collaborative) work.
- For collaborations, artists must confirm interest/availability before they submit the proposal.
- Artists that have not exhibited their work at the NGB over the last three years are particularly encouraged to apply.
While we accept submissions based on all sorts of ideas, in 2020 we remain committed to exhibiting:
- The work of professional artists, particularly those in the SADC region.
- Work that contributes to the ongoing dialogue about contemporary art practices.
- Projects that push artistic practice in new and interesting forms and directions, including digital artists as well as artists that showcase traditional art works using digital means to apply.
- Topics and styles not well represented by private or commercial spaces or otherwise difficult to show elsewhere.
- The work of artists previously exhibited anywhere outside Zimbabwe or itinerant exhibitions.
- Projects that take into account our limited gallery space, thoughtful and orderly installations that respect the “breathing space” of each artwork tend to work better in our gallery.
- Artists also keen to experiment with public art installations are also strongly encouraged to apply.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The above are just guidelines, so don’t worry if your exhibition/ project doesn’t satisfy everything listed; however, they are rules.
THE NATIONAL GALLERY WILL:
Offer artists an amazing opportunity to experience the vibrant visual arts scene of Bulawayo. This package offers preferential space for professional artists who are able to finance their self-directed studio residency at the National Gallery up to three months. The price for this residency is USD 100.00 pain in local ZWL equivalent per month. This includes studio space facilitation of your stay whilst in the city and exhibition space in the small galleries. The curator/ artist is expected to cover all other expenses including flights, visas, health insurance, local travel, meals, and subsistence, as well as their own accommodation.
THE NATIONAL GALLERY WILL NOT:
- Pay for your return ticket/flights to and from Bulawayo Zimbabwe.
- Pay for your travel insurance, airport taxes, and visa costs, to enter Zimbabwe see https://www.evisa.gov.zw/Home for details. (Will assist with all the necessary paperwork and clearance)
- Pay for your accommodation
THE NATIONAL GALLERY MAY:
- Assist in fundraising for the mobility stipend and accommodation
- Assist in sourcing basic art materials and equipment
- Assist in sourcing funds to make your residency as productive and comfortable as possible
Artists and Curators are encouraged to seek support to cover mobility local transport, accommodation, living and material expenses. Proposals that are incomplete, unreadable, or fail to meet the above requirements may not be considered.
How to Apply
How to Submit/ Format Requirements: Before sending the application, please make sure to have the following prepared:
- Application letter
- Up to 10 images of your work. The images should ideally represent the actual work selected for the exhibition. If this is impossible, the images should represent works that are comparable to those that will be featured in the exhibition. These images should be JPGS, no larger than 1024 x 768, 72dpi, preferably under 1MB.
They MUST be named in this format:
05YourFirstName_LastName.jpg … etc
- Up to 3 videos (*optional) of specific works which will be included in the exhibition. Please make sure each file is under 300MB and less than 5 minutes in length. If the original video is longer than that, please send an excerpt. Videos should be in MOV, MP4, or AVI format. Do not include exhibition documentation unless the element of time is integral to the work (i.e. performance or video installations).
- A one-page statement describing the concept of the exhibition. The file should be a PDF, RTF, or Word document.
- An image list providing an inventory of the images submitted. Include number, artist name, title, year, medium, and dimensions. Again, make it PDF, RTF, or Word document.
- Your resume and the resumes of any prospective collaborators. The Gallery offers residency for 1 and 3 months with the possibility of an exhibition at the end of the residency.
Application Deadline 30 September 2019
Successful applicants will know by 2 December 2019.